May 05, 2008

Trying to Get To

As I am sure many people can relate to I seem to have a towering pile of books that I have been meaning to get to over the past few weeks (and in some cases months).

Kabul in Winter - Ann Jones is one I have had on the shelf for a while now. The book is written by a journalist and women's rights activist about the time she spent in Afghanistan after the American war there. I heard the author speak so passionately about her work and the experiences she had in this country during a radio interview in Australia that I went out and bought the book immediately.

Foreign Correspondence - Geraldine Brooks is one I need to read to complete my Geraldine Brooks reading experience.

The Year of Magical Thinking - Joan Didion is another one to add to my grief and loss reading pile. Even though (or maybe because) I work in this area I really enjoy reading books talking about people's lived experiences of grief.

The Student Chronicles - Alice Garner is a cute little book telling the author's tales of her past student days in an Australian University.

Thanks for the Memories - Cecelia Ahern is perhaps a little more lighthearted option than some of the above titles. I really enjoy "escaping" in these sorts of books sometimes.

So, off to work on the pile!

2 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh yes, I know all about TBR piles! I find myself saying sometimes--maybe I'll read that one next year. Silly. I've heard good things about Joan Didion. Happy reading!

Karen said...

Thanks Trish - I am thinking about making a promise to myself to not buy/borrow any new books until I work my way through the current pile!